Dr Dhakal is active in disseminating knowledge on energy and climate policy and management issues through supporting several international scholarly journals.
- Co-Editor-in-Chief, Carbon Management, Taylor and Francis (till December 2016): Back in 2009, Dr. Dhakal together with Dr. Richard Houghton from Woods Hole Research Center started a new Journal titled Carbon Management under Future Science Publisher from London. The Journal was unique in a way that it blended the tradition of traditional journals on research articles with a wide range of editorials, opinion pieces, reviews and taking stock of state-of-art trends. The journal was devoted to create knowledge on options, opportunities and points of interventions for carbon management in the entire carbon cycle- the ocean, the land and the atmosphere bridging disciplines from natural science to social science (incl policy science). The journal targeted key global scholars and unsolicited open articles were minimal. In a short time, the journal gained popularity and even acquired ISI impact factor of 1.7 by 2013. The Journal has recently moved to Taylor and Francis, further consolidated, merged another Taylor and Francis journal of similar scope titled “Greenhouse Gas Measurement & Management“ and developed as a better platform for excellence on the topic. Dr. Dhakal served as a Co-Editor-in-Chief of this consolidated Journal Carbon Management till December 2016 with Journal reaching ISI Impact factor of 2.08.
Other than this, he is associated with a number of Journals in a variety of editorial roles.
- Section Editor, PLOS Climate, PLOS (May 2021~ onwards)
- Guest Co-Editor, Resources, Conservation & Recycling, Special Issue on “Reshaping urban infrastructure for a carbon-neutral and sustainable future”, Elsevier (June 2021 ~ onwards)
- Associate Editor, Sustainable Cities and Society, Elsevier (2015-2017)
- Member of Editorial Board, Urban Climate, Elsevier (2012 ~ onwards)
- Member, Board of Editorial Advisors, International Energy Journal (March 2009 ~ onwards)
Past editorial roles as a guest editor in Special Issues of journals
- Guest Co-Editor (2018-2020), Special Issue on Urban Data and Climate Information Services, Urban Climate, Elsevier.
- Guest Co-Editor (2017-2020), Special Issue on Urban Pathways: Transition towards Low-Carbon, Sustainable Cities in Emerging Economies, Sustainability, MDPI.
- Guest Co-editor, Special Issue on Sustainable Urban Systems, Journal of Industrial Ecology, Volume 16, Issue 6, December 2012, Wiley and Yale University. See editorial here
- Guest Co-editor, Special Issue on Carbon Emissions and Carbon Management in Cities, Energy Policy Journal (Volume 38, Issue 9, 2010). See Editorial Preface.
- Guest Co-editor, Special Issue on Environmental Implication of Urban Transportation in Asia, International Journal of Pollution and Environment (Volume 30, No.1, 2007). See Editorial Preface.
Prof. Dhakal has been reviewer of over fifteen key journals in the field of energy, climate and sustainability (selected examples: Nature Climate Change, Sustainability Science, Energy Policy, Energy, Energy Economics, Journal of Industrial Ecology, GEC, Applied Energy, Environmental Research Letters, Carbon Management, Urban Climate, Sustainable Cities and Society, Current Opinion on Env Sustainability etc.)